Friday, October 17

Some Genius.


So about four months ago, my year old MBP just stopped working on me. Literally out of the blue. These little mirroring vertical stripes would run down my screen then the kernal panic would pop up. I brought it to my local genius, Alfred, at the Apple store and he told me it was a problem with my logic board. He ran it on his external through firewire and came up with that conclusion again. Being in the middle of my college semester and applecareless, I needed another computer. So after he told me that it was either $1200 for a repair, I decided to go with a new Macbook instead. Was Alfred supposed to just run diagnostics on it first and not just assume?

Months later, after selling the iPod and printer I got with the MB on craigslist, I put up the old MBP up on eBay for parts. I turn on my MBP one last time just to be sure it really is not working. It really wasn't. No stripes, but just wouldn't go past the empty grey screen. I then zero out the computer with the help of T mode and new new Macbook. After it's done, I turn on the MBP to see the little folder question mark sign. Turn it off and go to bed.

While in bed, I pondered why there was not any stripes and why it went past the first screen into the one with the folder/question mark sign. I then had an idea.

The next morning, using T mode again I use the install disks for the MBP and reinstalled Tiger. Then voila! It works perfectly! Like the first day setting up my Mac. I relived that moment once again. I end the auction on eBay and celebrate that after months of grief in the death and unnecessary birth of two Macs, I get the old one working again.

But why was this? I don't really know much about what goes on inside a computer. Was it because I had too much stuff in the MBP that the memory just failed? I treated my computer with the best care. Did the logic board really fail on me, then by some act of God, fix itself? Why didn't the Genius at the Apple store tell me this option? Why did I go out and drop more money for a replacement to only then have two perfectly working machines. Maybe I'm just venting now that I have to try and sell this MBP I managed to revive. But seriously, anyone know why this happened? I blame Steve Jobs and his brainwashing techniques on his employees.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is normal for apple

check out my blog about the logic board issues

http://www.applelogicboardrepair.blogspot.com